Most families I know have their own version of the ABC Soup (essentially carrot and potato in a clear broth that is so easy it’s like ABC). I usually cook mine with hearty chunks of carrots, potato, tomato and onions – sometimes, corn on a cob too. This is a variant that I came up with that is a cross between a creamy pumpkin soup and the ABC soup. (I even served it with my very first loaf of homemade bread on the day I made this!)
Is this fusion? Who cares! It’s vegetarian, it’s my original recipe and it’s so yummy! I think so anyway.
Creamy Carrot & Potato Soup
Serves 2 – 4. Prep time: 10 minutes. Cooking time: 30 minutes.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic
4 small potatoes
1 medium-sized carrot
1/2 medium onion chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon meat curry powder
1/2 cube of vegetable stock
1 teaspoon rosemary (optional)
1/2 cup milk (I used evaporated milk)
3 cups water
1. Cut carrot and 3 potatoes into smallish chunks. (The remaining potato chopped up and saved for later.)
2. Heat vegetable oil in a medium-sized pot to brown the garlic, followed by onions.
3. Add carrots and potatoes into the pot.
4. Pour water, meat curry powder, rosemary and vegetable stock cube into the pot.
5. Turn to medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes until potatoes and carrots turn somewhat soft. Don’t forget to stir constantly.
6. Puree mixture in a food processor or stick an immersion blender into pot. Then return pureed soup back into pot (if you’re using a food processor).
7. Add salt, milk and the remaining potato chunks, then simmer for another 10 minutes (stir constantly). If the soup is too thin, add a little more milk or some heavy cream or, boil it down to preferable viscosity.
8. Serve hot with ground black pepper to taste!
The floating bits of potato give the soup some bite. I do love a chunky soup like the New England Clam Chowder but since this soup is supposed to be CREAMY, it shall remain largely such.
One thought on “Meatless Monday: Creamy Carrot & Potato Soup”
That bread is impressive!!