I love potatoes but T loves them even more than I do. I have been trying to create different ways of cooking potato at home. I love that they are a good source of vitamin B6, vitamin C, copper, potassium, manganese and dietary fibre. Unfortunately, potatoes have a bad rep for being fattening and unhealthy because the most popular ways of eating them are usually in the form of french fries and chips. My Roasted Potatoes recipe, I feel, is healthy and possibly low calorie, as long as you don’t load it up with fattening condiments like sour cream or bacon bits.
You can pretty much roast other vegetables with the same seasoning and method too! Think carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin, brussel sprouts, cauliflower…
Easy Roasted Potatoes
Serves 2. Prep time: 15 min. Cooking time: 60 mins (most of which you can relax)
3 medium-sized potatoes
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1. Peel potatoes then parboil for 10 minutes in boiling water (add salt to water). (This step makes it crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside)
2. Set aside to cool.
3. Preheat oven to 400f.
3. Cut cooled potatoes into quarters.
4. Place in mixing bowl and toss with garlic, rosemary, pepper, brown sugar and olive oil.
5. Transfer to sheet pan and spread them out.
6. Roast for 45 minutes to 1hour. Flip twice during cooking to ensure you get more browned crispy bits.
6. Remove from oven and serve hot.
I served mine as a side dish to the stir-fried green beans (from last week’s recipe) and rice. For some reason, T didn’t quite believe that I made up the recipe myself from the ingredients I found in the pantry. He said he loved them as much as those store-bought, pre-seasoned ones he got for more than twice the price of what we paid for the ingredients. I still think it’s a fluke and with me, my cooking is still a hit and miss. I’m sharing this recipe because it’s a hit with T and I hope it will be with you too!
One thought on “Meatless Monday: Easy Roasted Potatoes”
I often cook potatoes as a side in a very similar way. You can’t beat a nice roast potato!