Hello! It’s another Meatless Monday! When you see this, I’m either in New York or on my way back to Las Vegas from New York! I hope you enjoy this easy stir-fry recipe!
This is my standard “Chinese”-style method for cooking veggies. You can replace the green beans with any vegetable. Substitute the green beans with cauliflower or broccoli and it’ll be exactly the same! If you choose a “softer” and more “leafy” vegetable like cabbage, mustard greens or other leafy Chinese vegetables in general, make sure you watch that the leaves do not wilt too much as they cook faster than “hard” veggies.
Serves 2. Prep Time: 5 mins. Cooking time: 30 mins.
1 large onion
4 cups of green beans (my estimate is 2 cups of any vegetable = 1 portion)
1 tablespoon vegetarian “Oyster” sauce (mushroom flavoured)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup water
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1. Julienne (cut into strips) onions. Mince your garlic cloves if you don’t use the pre-minced ones in a bottle.
2. Add cooking oil into a heated, non-stick stir-fry pan.
3. Add minced garlic and fry till slightly golden brown or fragrant. Don’t burn it! Turn the heat down to medium if you had it on high.
4. Add onion strips into the fry pan and stir constantly on high heat.
5. When some of the onion strips start to char or brown on the edges, mix 1 cup of water with 1 teaspoon of cornstarch. Add that mixture into the fry pan. Stir the onions and garlic that is now sitting in the “soup”.
6. Cover the pan with a lid. I use any lid that’s not smaller than my pan. There should be a small gap to let some steam out. It will sit like this for about 10 minutes. Stir the onions every so often.
7. Add green beans to onions and stir-fry for about 30 seconds.
8. Add oyster sauce and brown sugar to the vegetables. Mix thorougly.
9. Cover the stir-fry pan with a lid for 15 minutes. Lift lid to stir-fry every so often.
10. Check to see that onions and green beans have softened. Dish out to serve hot with steamed rice.
One thought on “Meatless Monday: Stirfry Green Beans”
I’m allergic to green beans but definitely going to try it out with broccoli!