Aida is my pal Zizi’s elder sister. I’ve known Zizi from way back when, and she was also once my hostel mate in Uni and also my colleague at work! I’ve always known Aida as one of the POPTART DJs, Jah, and she’s one of those key fixtures I see around clubs too. I didn’t realise she was Zizi’s sister till a few years ago (small world)! And even more amazing, I didn’t realise that she was a red-pen warrior by day too! Secondary School Science teacher and a hip & happening DJ! I’ve always admired her dress sense and her bold red lips from afar until today!!
This afternoon, when we did the shoot at her house, we had an awesome 2 hours just talking. We chatted about everything from not being able to get decent and affordable clothes in Singapore, to dating, to childhood stigmas of not being average sized, to careers and ambitions. I’m so inspired by Aida’s style, her passion for life and her attitude towards just everything else! We all have our to-do lists, I guess maybe you can say Aida’s is just more high-achieving than the average woman’s.
In the words of the wise, (erm I mean Aida), the only thing that is stopping yourself is you. Get off your bums and do more for yourself! (Okay me…)
- What is your dress/shoe size? UK16 /39
- Describe Your Style I like clothes that are simple but with an edge. Most of my clothes are black or grey but i’ve recently embraced colour. I also like clothes with bold statement details.
- What do you normally wear to work or a work event/meeting? I normally wear dresses as they keep me feeling cool when I teach in non-aircon classes.
- Where and how do you shop? I shop online or when I travel as it’s hard to find clothes in my size in Singapore.
- What are your favourite things to buy? Shoes…oh shoes.. I have a serious shoe habit. I’m running out of space in my shoe cupboard.
- What are your favourite brands or shops? I don’t really have a favourite brand but I’m a huge fan of Maison Martin Margiela and was mighty pleased when H&M had their collaboration collection.
- How do you dress on your blah-days? Any dress that’s comfortable and doesn’t make me self-conscious.
- When you were 12, what did you imagine your life would be like at your current age? Not at all, I never thought I would be a teacher who djs as a hobby. Life didn’t turn out how I expected it too but I’m grateful to be living a life that I love.
So there you have it – A for Aida the Amazing. I love her big spacious room with the high ceilings and antique & vintage furniture. Today, I’m I for Inspired and E for Envious.
3 thoughts on “Not Your Average Woman: Aida Eliza Abdul Majid”
Another awesome post in this series! I love Aida’s style, she really rocks that lipstick.
Wow, a teacher DJ? That is badass!!!